Pagnotta Engineering, Inc. (PEI) was awarded redesign development with the goal of reducing the shuttle’s weight by 25% but increasing payload capacity. The weight reduction, and thus inertia reduction, allows for additional payload without changes to the UAV launch ramp system.
UAV Launch Shuttle Redesign using Composite Materials
Vector Composites (for AAI Textron and US Army)
- Developed conceptual candidate designs (3D CAD)
- Evaluated pro and cons of each design considering strength, cost, manufacturability, and reliability
- Completed development of best design option including FE analysis (strength and fatigue) and preparation of all manufacturing drawings
- Supported preliminary and critical design reviews
- Supported first article build and testing